Sunday, October 22, 2006

Karma wins again.

Am I a magnet for chaos and catastrophe?

On August 9th, Dan was rear-ended while driving to work. The car sustained damages just $500 shy of being a total loss. $8500. We got the car back on Sept 25 (they kept it for six weeks) and it was almost perfectly repaired, aside from a couple cosmetic details. Dan was planning to take it to the dealer to have them correct it on Monday.

No point in doing that.

At a very dark and early 5am drive to work, my car got well aquainted with a deer on McConnells hwy...at 55mph.

It dashed out into the road, as deer typically do, about 20 feet ahead of me. I hit the brakes hard, but not too hard (lost control of a car and broke 7 bones in 1994 from braking too hard and swerving) and didn't swerve obviously, lest I get acquainted with some trees in a hurry. Anyway...this deer pulls a move I hadn't seen before. Bambi's got nothing on this girl, apparently she's been hangin' out with the squirrels...she turned for a sec, and almost ran back...then took one giant leap in an attempt to escape.

My passenger side headlight clipped her, caught her right in the hip area, spun her around like a top, and I heard a few taps and scrapes on the side of the car. It didn't sound very bad, but I knew there would be some damage. I drove back to see if she was on the ground and visible to me, but she had run off (or at least I think, I could see only as far as my headlights shone) Poor thing. I know she must be injured and hurting.

When I got to McConnells, I pulled into a Texaco parking lot and took a closer look at the car.

The hood is all wonky and dented. The very front of it is curled under like a crumpled soda can. The headlight housing is broken, the grille is hanging off (the impact broke one of the bolts off and cracked the grille plate) There is a small dent and a few scratches on the side of the car, but nothing really noticeable. No blood, but some hair embedded in the grille.

I have driven those roads for 15 years, and I always knew...I knew...at some point I'd nail one. But now? Come ON!!!!

I feel like somewhere, out there in the vast and infinite universe, the mischievous hand of karma has taken a shine to me, and every now and then...has to smoosh me...like those feet on Monty Python's Flying Circus.

And then it has a good laugh, gets distracted, loses interest for a few days, then...*SMOOSH!*

And, yes...I know things could be much worse, so don't misunderstand. I am so very thankful for the positive things in my life, the bright side, if you will...the blessings most people take for granted. For instance...at least there wasn't another deer behind that one to smack into my windsheild...at least it was a deer, not a bear...at least I had a change of underwear even though I didn't need it...at least the cucarachas aren't infesting in my house, they just happen to be outside bugs that know the way in...at least my kid wasn't in the bed when my cat peed on it...

So forget what I said about being cursed. I have been smitten by the pointy finger of Karma, and I am now her bitch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home