Saturday, September 09, 2006

Carlos the Cockroach

Very few cockroaches in the house these days. I guess the insecticide forcefield is still working. Every now and then one finds a tiny crevice to squeeze it's greasy little body through, mainly in the trash cupboard, where it can make a quick escape through the cracks before we can move the trash bin and smoosh it.

For those of you who understand the cockroach plague of the South, I thought I'd share the newest development in my cucaracha wars. I'm sure everything I've written thus far, you have lived yourself, you know their behavior, the means to kill them, the horror of the realization of not being alone when you flip the light switch and see them scuttling across the floor, legs flailing in a mad attempt to survive. Or worse, the ones who don't run, have no fear and just stare at you.

*shudder*

Well, here's one thing you probably haven't encountered in your bug wars. Something you can be thankful for...

At least your husband doesn't name the cockroach in the trash cupboard 'Carlos'...and then tell you he's named it Carlos...which prompts you to ask him if he killed Carlos...to which he answers "Well, he wasn't really hurting anyone in there"...after which you go on a hunt to squish the life out of Carlos, only to find an empty cupboard for days.

On the fourth day, your husband walks into the den, looking saddened. And when you ask what's wrong...he tells you "I killed Carlos...it was an accident" and he continues "Well mostly...he's not really dead yet, but I cut off his head trying to trap him under a glass when he escaped...and I chopped his head off with the edge of the glass"

And you swear he's going to cry.

And then you replay it in your mind ...not really dead, yet?....but he chopped his head off?

Whaaaaaaaaat?

His bizarre behavior prompts you to ask "Who ARE you???? ...and why didn't you kill him?"

And perhaps like me you'll move the glass *and Carlos* outside...and marvel at the horror as he survives for two days...with NO HEAD!!!



Heh! I bet you thought that was just some silly rumor.

5 Comments:

Blogger SifaSeven said...

YEEECH!!!!! "Carlos" huh. I agree with you...when you start naming your cockroaches, you gotta start wondering about sanity!

I can sympathize with the cockroach thing...lately, though, my nemesis has been ants!

(And yeah...cockroaches live for nearly 3 days w/o their heads. The Orkin man was right.)

Cheers,
Annie

8:08 PM  
Blogger The Math Ninja said...

Crazy. I think another good name would be Vinny.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I wonder how long Dan could live without his head? I bet if he keeps naming them, we might just find out!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

This is too funny! Carlos must've been a trooper. We get palmetto bugs that come in our living room, with the one true intention of dying. So, they roll over and die. On my carpet. Ick -- got love the southern life!

9:06 AM  
Blogger doreen said...

I don't even know what to say here. . .

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home